The aboriginal name of Carah was once given to Inskip Point. Early this century Inskip Point was the original settlement in the area and boasted a small school to cater for the children of the local timber getters and the Inskip Light Keeper.
Some of the area between Inskip and Rainbow Beach was mined for rutile, zircon and ilmenite between 1965 and 1971.
NOTE: Vehicle permits are not required to visit Inskip Point by 4WD or to see the coloured sands from Rainbow Beach south to Middle Rock.
Inskip Peninsula Camping and Recreation Area
- This recreation area provides people with access to four main camping areas:
- Toilet facilities
- Beach camping
- Open fires are permitted unless a fire prohibitions is in place.
- Bring your own clean milled timber.
- Collection of bushwood (including leaves and twigs for kindling) is prohibited.
- Penalties apply.
- Rubbish disposal sites provided.
- Buy your camping permit before you set up camp
- Use and existing or established campsite and camp within the tree line – not on the foredunes
- Check local conditions before you leave home.
- Bring in fresh water
- Keep your dogs on a lead and under control at all times
- Do not dump portable toilet waste in the campground toilet – use the council camping service facility located on Clarkson Drive, Rainbow Beach
- Reduce noise after 9 pm
Options for obtaining camping permits are:
1. Online at DERM website
2. Bookings can also be made in person at:
- Manta-Ray Barge Pty Ltd, 66 Rainbow Beach Road, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days: 5am - 6pm.
*camping and vehicle permits NOT available on Barge – at office only*
- Rainbow Beach Foodwork, Rainbow Beach Rd, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days: 5am - 6:30pm.
- Rainbow Beach IGA, 9/48 Rainbow Beach Rd, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days: 6am - 8pm.
- QPW information centre on Rainbow Beach Road, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 7am - 4pm (except Christmas Day).
- Visit the Great Sandy National Park Information Centre at Tewantin (100m before barge). Open 7 days 8am - 4pm (except Christmas Day).
3. Phone 13 13 04 (24hrs - 7 days).