Freshwater / Teewah
NOTE: Vehicle permits are not required to see the coloured sands from Rainbow Beach south to Middle Rock or to vist Bymien Picmic area and associated walks if accessed from the Northern access of Rainbow Beach Rd.
Freshwater campground is 8 kms south of Double Island Point along Teewah Beach (4WD access only). The campground can also be reached by travelling 14 km along the Freshwater Rd. The campground is set amongst scribbly gum woodland about 500m inland from the beach. A group site is available for large groups (book through the QPW office at Tewantin).
- Hot showers (Bring $1 coins)
- Toilet facilities
- Garbage disposal areas
- Designated campsites
- Free gas barbeques in day use area
- Bookings essential - pre-booked campers only
- All domestic animals prohibited (penalties apply)
- Campfires prohibited - use fuel stoves only
- Generators prohibited
- 4WD access only
- Check local conditions before you leave home.
- Do not dump portable toilet waste in the campground toilet – use the camping service facility located in the day-use area
- Reduce noise after 9 pm
Teewah Beach and Beach Camping
It is permissible to explore Teewah Beach in a 4WD at low tide, although conditions apply, such as speed limits and on the proviso that drivers stick to the beach and designated tracks. Beach camping is limited to a 15-km area along Teewah Beach between the boundary of the Noosa Shire in the south and Freshwater Creek.
- No facilities
- Open fires permitted unless there is a fire prohibition in place. Bring your own clean milled timber as penalties apply for collecting and burning bush timber (including leaves and twigs for kindling). Fuel stoves preferred.
- Generators are permitted between 7am and 9pm.
- Preferably bring a portable toilet. A portable toilet dumping facility is located at the beach camper's service bay opposite the day-use area at Freshwater
- Outdoor showers and fresh water taps are provided at the beach camper's service bay located opposite the day-use area at Freshwater. Treat all water before use.
- Permits required before camping. Penalties apply.
- Domestic animals are not permitted in national parks, including this camping zone. Penalties apply.
- 4WD access only
- Bring drinking water and containers. Freshwater in ponds, creeks or from sub-surface supplies is not suitable for drinking or domestic use. Untreated water is available at the beach camper service facility at the Freshwater day-use area. Pack water treatment tablets or boil water for at least 5 – 10 minutes.
- The use of portable sand spears to collect sub-surface water from the foredune area is not permitted.
Options for obtaining camping permits are:
1. Phone 13 13 04 (24hrs, 7 days).
2. Online at DERM website.
3. Bookings can also be made in person at:
- QPW information centre on Rainbow Beach Road, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 7am - 4pm (except Christmas Day).
- Visit the Great Sandy National Park Information Centre at Tewantin (100m before barge). Open 7 days 8am -4pm (except Christmas Day).
- Manta-Ray Barge Pty Ltd, 66 Rainbow Beach Road, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 5am - 6pm.
*camping and vehicle permits NOT available on Barge – at office only*
- Rainbow Beach Foodworks, 4 Rainbow Beach Rd, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 5am - 6:30pm.
- Rainbow Beach IGA, 9/48 Rainbow Beach Rd, Rainbow Beach. Open 7 days, 6am - 8pm.